Sunday, March 7, 2010
1-1/2 cups unsalted butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup ground almonds
3 cups flour
Manjar Blanco Filling:(doce de leite)
5 cups whole milk
1-1/8 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Prepare the Manjar Blanco filling. Put the milk, sugar and vanilla in a medium saucepan and let it come to a boil. Continue to boil the mixture, stirring occasionally, until thickened, approximately 45 minutes. The Manjar is ready if you put a bit on a plate and it does not run.
2. Cream butter with confectioners' sugar until fluffy.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients.
4. Wrap and chill 30 minutes (if you leave it longer, just let it warm up to the point of being able to be rolled out).
5. Roll dough out to 1/4" thickness. Cut in 2 1/2" circles and place on parchment lined cookie sheet. They won’t expand much, so you can place them pretty close together.
6. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
7. Cool cookie sheets between batches and cool cookies on wire rack.
8. When cookies have completely cooled, carefully spread some manjar blanco on one cookie and top with another cookie. Other alternatives to fillings: chocolate nutella.. yum, also dulce de leite (you can buy in a can.. or you can put a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pan full of water and boil for 3 hrs) I added the manjar blanco with a little of the dulce de leite.. super yum!
9. Dust tops with confectioners' sugar and enjoy immediately.